Sunday, July 02, 2006

Democrat Patriotism

How do democrats feel about the 4th of July? Here's a sample:

Today I walked out of church about a third of the way through the service. A soloist was performing "God Bless the USA." I have always found that song to be especially cloying, but when I noticed it listed in the bulletin I decided to attempt to tolerate it. And I might have managed to do just that had not one or two individuals prompted the entire congregation to stand.
At that moment I felt as though I'd been punched in the gut. And it was a double whammy - not only was I offended politically, I was deeply offended spiritually. I would never under any circumstance stand in tribute to a performance of that particular song. As far as I'm concerned asking me to stand in a sanctuary bordered on blasphemy. How could I in good conscience stand to embrace the lyrics "I'm proud to be an American"

Can we question their patriotism yet?

Hat tip: Little green footballs

There are several more "patriotic" diaries of democrats that little green footballs has included but they make me sick, so if you want to read more you can access it there.

3 Comments:

Blogger defiant_infidel said...

What was he/she/it doing in church anyway if not in possession of some confluence between God and country?

July 03, 2006 12:27 AM  
Blogger Capitalist Infidel said...

My guess, she heard through the grapevine there would be free wine. Little did she know it's called Communion.

July 03, 2006 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the author of this article must be athiest, or something akin to it. "Bernhoeffer removed swastika-adorned banners.....will take my cue from him..." A swastika-adorned banner is a far cry from the song God Bless the USA. When someone goes to church to worship God, they are not thinking of what Bernhoeffer did or didn's do, their mind and sould should be on God---that is the reason we come to church, to worhsip God.

July 03, 2006 10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home