Monday, April 10, 2006

Even A Blind Squirell Finds A Nut Every Now And Then

I was a bit shocked to find the far left Washington Post actually telling the truth. Bush Derangement Syndrome or BDS for short has infected just about every newsroom in America so I have to give credit where credit is due. Here's to the Washington Posts brief moment of clarity.

PRESIDENT BUSH was right to approve the declassification of parts of a National Intelligence Estimate about Iraq three years ago in order to make clear why he had believed that Saddam Hussein was seeking nuclear weapons. Presidents are authorized to declassify sensitive material, and the public benefits when they do. But the administration handled the release clumsily, exposing Mr. Bush to the hyperbolic charges of misconduct and hypocrisy that Democrats are leveling.

Rather than follow the usual declassification procedures and then invite reporters to a briefing -- as the White House eventually did -- Vice President Cheney initially chose to be secretive, ordering his chief of staff at the time, I. Lewis Libby, to leak the information to a favorite New York Times reporter. The full public disclosure followed 10 days later. There was nothing illegal or even particularly unusual about that; nor is this presidentially authorized leak necessarily comparable to other, unauthorized disclosures that the president believes, rightly or wrongly, compromise national security. Nevertheless, Mr. Cheney's tactics make Mr. Bush look foolish for having subsequently denounced a different leak in the same controversy and vowing to "get to the bottom" of it.

The affair concerns, once again, former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV and his absurdly over-examined visit to the African country of Niger in 2002. Each time the case surfaces, opponents of the war in Iraq use it to raise a different set of charges, so it's worth recalling the previous iterations. Mr. Wilson originally claimed in a 2003 New York Times op-ed and in conversations with numerous reporters that he had debunked a report that Iraq was seeking to purchase uranium from Niger and that Mr. Bush's subsequent inclusion of that allegation in his State of the Union address showed that he had deliberately "twisted" intelligence "to exaggerate the Iraq threat." The material that Mr. Bush ordered declassified established, as have several subsequent investigations, that Mr. Wilson was the one guilty of twisting the truth. In fact, his report supported the conclusion that Iraq had sought uranium

I have no doubt that the Post will be back to BDS tomorrow but for today I can say congratulations!

Hat tip: Just about everybody but I believe I read it first from Lorie Byrd

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah well... don't get too excited.. Just their way of dangling that carrot out to folks like you and me to keep reading in hopes of finding another brief moment of truth.

;o)

April 10, 2006 8:34 AM  
Blogger Capitalist Infidel said...

Les

You got me all excited, I thought Drudge had linked to me but if that were the case I would have crashed. :)

I could only stay away for a few days. This site is free, I couldn't justify spending any money when I don't know when I'll be able to post. As you can see the restaruant keeps me pretty busy, there'll be 3 days in a row where I just don't have any time to write anything. Most of my posts are between 1 and 3 am.

Nice to have ya back.

April 10, 2006 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home